Chicken in Coconut Almond Sauce
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 to 3 slivers cinnamon sticks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 small slices fresh ginger
- 1 fresh green chili pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 10 raw almonds (1/2-ounce)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 2 cups hot water
- Cut chicken into 2-inch pieces. Reserve.
- Place spice paste ingredients in a blender. Grind for about 5 minutes into a smooth paste. Reserve.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat (the oil should be hot but not smoking). Add cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cumin seeds, and fennel seeds and stir until seeds change color from light brown to semi-dark brown.
- Add onion, tomato, and turmeric and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes while stirring.
- Add reserved chicken and sauté over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until chicken starts to brown.
- Stir in curry powder, salt, and reserved spice paste. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, about 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add cilantro and cook for 1 minute.