Kids in the Kitchen
Cooking with Kids Teaches Valuable Life LessonsPutting together a tasty treat is a lot more than fixing something to eat. If children grow up learning to cook they have a skill that lasts a lifetime.
Kids in the Kitchen teaches cooking basics preparing easy snacks, desserts, and main dishes. Children learn how to read a recipe, combine ingredients, and serve food.
Creating these recipes with your child provides quality time together, reinforces making healthy choices, inspires self-confidence and teaches responsibility. Cooking can even improve math and reading skills.
When cooking together follow a few simple guidelines:
- Choose recipes and utensils that are age appropriate.
- Review recipes before beginning and make sure you have all of the ingredients.
- Make sure hands are washed and explain why clean hands are important in food preparation.
- Take advantage of the teachable moment. Teach children about measuring, safe utensil use, and reading the recipe carefully.
- Make sure that clean up, putting dishes away and leftover food storage is part of the experience.
- Enjoy your delicious creation.